Parkview is a beautiful neighbourhood featuring many mature trees and direct connections with the North Saskatchewan River Valley system. Parkview’s homes are located on quiet streets thanks to Parkview’s unique modified grid street network. Like many other neighbourhoods in the area, there are several breathtaking views of the scenic river valley from Parkview. Parkview is one of the larger residential neighbourhoods in the city with a total area of approximately 155 hectares. The bulk of the construction in the neighbourhood occurred in the mid-to-late 1950s. As such, the residential land use in Parkview is almost exclusively single-family, and single-detached homes account for 97% of all units in the neighbourhood. The only exception to this residential pattern is a small apartment-style building located in the centre of the neighbourhood adjacent to the Valleyview Shopping Centre and Parkview Elementary and Junior High School.
One of the main features in the Parkview neighbourhood is the Valleyview Shopping Centre, which is located on 142 Street. This shopping centre, containing five separate businesses, serves Parkview as well as some of the nearby neighbourhoods. It is unique in that it is located right in the heart of the neighbourhood and can therefore be readily accessed by residents. The neighbourhood is well located in terms of connections with major roadways in Edmonton, and residents can quickly access both Whitemud Drive and Stony Plain Road from 149th Street.
Parkview’s name represents the scenic views offered to residents of this neighbourhood. The portion of Parkview located to the east of 142nd Street was previously known as Valleyview, and the neighbourhood also incorporates a portion of the former Bueno Vista subdivision. All of these names reflect upon the natural beauty of the area.
Population 1,263 Median Income $87,451 # of Homes 505 © Stats Canada Census Data
The Crestwood neighbourhood was developed in the early 1950s. While it was initially known as the Jasper Place and Capital Hill subdivisions, City Council allowed the local community to choose and vote on the new neighbourhood name.
The North Saskatchewan River Valley is a prominent feature for the residents of Crestwood. A view of the river valley is possible on the north, east and south sides of the neighbourhood. Due to this fact, Crestwood displays a very distinct and unique street network. Crestwood also features many community facilities including two neighbourhood shopping centres, eight churches, two schools, a community league, an arena, and a curling club. Isabelle Connelly Park is named in honour of the first licensed lady embalmer in Alberta.
Residential structures in Crestwood are almost entirely single-detached dwellings built in the 1950s and earlier. There are also a few semi-detached homes in the neighbourhood as well as some low rise apartment buildings. Infill has been a slow and steady process in Crestwood, and new homes have been added to replace older ones fairly continuously across the decades. 149th Avenue, which runs the western length of the neighbourhood, provides residents with easy access to Stony Plain Road to the north and Whitemud Drive to the south, making the community ideally situated in terms of accessibility to commercial and employment centres around Edmonton.
Population 2,334 Median Income $109,253 # of Homes 935 © Stats Canada Census Data
Laurier Heights was one of the first residential neighbourhoods built with the curvilinear street pattern. Located on the west bank of the North Saskatchewan River Valley, Laurier Heights features many homes with a scenic view of the river valley. The City’s Valley Zoo and recreational area is located in the adjacent river valley. The zoo is a popular attraction for children and adults alike. A park located by 78 Avenue and 141 Street is named after Wildred Gilroy Webb (1885 – 1961), an early pioneer.
Laurier Heights has a small neighbourhood shopping centre which provides various services to residents in the neighbourhood. Residential land use consists almost primarily of single detached dwellings, but over 20% of units within the neighbourhood are located in low-rise apartment buildings. A centrally located school and park site form a focal point within the interior of the community, and connection with 149th Street provides residents with easy access to Whitemud Drive (east-west) and other amenities north of the neighbourhood.
Laurier Heights’ residents are very stable, with well over two-thirds of the individuals living at the same address for five years or more. Another demographic feature of Laurier Heights is that it exhibits an older age profile, where 44 percent of the population is 50 years of age or older and 22% of the population is over 70 years old.
Population 4,840 Median Income $107,732 # of Homes 2,045 © Stats Canada Census Data
In 1878, Malcolm Groat selected his homestead on the land that is now the Westmount neighbourhood. Groat was a Hudson Bay Company employee and an early Edmonton settler who remained one of Edmonton’s leading citizens through the turn of the century. Groat’s square mile of land was wisely selected along the North Saskatchewan River immediately west of the area that became the Hudson Bay Reserve. The Groat homestead was annexed to the City of Edmonton in two stages, first in 1904 and then in 1910. Groat gradually sold his land to developers as the demand for residential lots heated up. Due to its proximity to downtown Edmonton Westmount developed early, in spite of the general oversupply of residential lots in Edmonton. Access to downtown was enhanced by the extension of an electric streetcar line between Jasper Avenue and 110 Avenue via 124 Street beginning in 1910. Westmount, particularly the area at the rim of the Groat Ravine, established a reputation as an attractive residential area for wealthy and professional people. A commercial space developed along 124 Street, beside the streetcar line. When the line was abandoned, between 1947 and 1948, 124 Street was an established commercial strip.
While most low density residential structures were built prior to 1950, apartment development (which now accounts for over fifty percent of dwelling units) is more recent. Apartment buildings are generally located near 124 Street or other major traffic routes. Along its residential streets, Westmount has retained many of its attractive older homes, and extensive renovation and infill development has occurred. To maintain the quality of the residential environment, public and private initiatives to upgrade the ambience of the 124 Street shopping area and to promote voluntary heritage preservation guidelines for building renovations have been underway for some time.
Westmount is a truly mixed-use neighbourhood which boasts a variety of residential, institutional, recreational, commercial, and light industrial land uses within easy walking distance of each other. The 124th Street shopping area and Business Revitalization Zone (BRZ) runs north-south through the neighbourhood, acting as a central spine for the community.
Westmount likely takes its name from an affluent, predominantly Anglophone, city (formerly neighbourhood) on the west island of Montreal.
Glenora is one of Edmonton’s historic residential areas. It was originally staked out by Malcolm Groat in the 1860s. In 1869, he claimed a 900 acre parcel immediately west of the Hudson’s Bay Reserve. This land extended from today’s 121st Street west to 142nd Street, and south from 111th Avenue to the North Saskatchewan River. In 1906, the land was sold to Montreal realtor James Carruthers, who planned the area as an exclusive real estate development. Its standards were safeguarded by the Carruthers Caveat, which required that no house built in Glenora could cost less than $3,500. There were no restrictions placed regarding home or lot size. When Edmonton was selected to be the capital city of Alberta in 1906 many professionals chose to live in the area as they developed their careers and built their families in the new city.
In 1909 the Alberta Government built Government House in Glenora as the official residence of the lieutenant-governor. During the land boom of 1912, Glenora and the surrounding residential area grew significantly.
Glenora features many of the more beautiful historic homes in the city, and has also been experiencing residential infill consistently over past decades, making this neighbourhood an interesting study in residential architectural forms in Edmonton over the past century. The streets are lined with mature elm trees and vegetation. One of the more prominent characteristics of the neighbourhood is the Royal Alberta Museum which overlooks the River Valley. Some commercial services are available along Stony Plain Road, as it runs east-west through the centre of the neighbourhood, but a greater diversity of commercial, office and other amenities are available on the neighbourhood’s edges on 124th street to the west and 142nd Street to the east. The neighbourhood features several schools, parks, and open spaces, including ready access to the river valley and ravine system. The most iconic local park in Glenora is Alexander Circle Park, designed as the focal point of a distinctive circular residential pattern around which stately houses are situated; this development represents Edmonton’s most significant nod to the “garden suburb” design concept that emerged in the early 20th century.
The origin of the name Glenora is uncertain. The neighbourhood may have been named after Glenora, a village in Eastern Ontario. The neighbourhood may also have been named after the Glenora Mill on the Lachine Canal, which was owed by a Company in which Carruthers had an interest. Another theory is that Glenora originated from the Scottish word “glen”, meaning valley, and the French “or”, meaning gold. In fact, Glenora contains three ravines which lead to the North Saskatchewan River, where it is still possible to pan for gold.
Population 5,870 Median Income $94,277 # of Homes 2,582 © Stats Canada Census Data
Lymburn is located in the west part of Edmonton, just south of Whitemud Freeway and east of Anthony Henday Drive. The neighbourhood straddles both the West Japer Place South Area Structure Plan and the West Jasper Place outline Plan. The neighbourhood has a slightly younger population than the citywide average, and slightly larger household sizes than the city average, which is explained by the presence of more school-aged children within family households.
Housing in Lymburn is a mixture of one-unit dwellings, row housing, and low rise apartments. A majority of the multi-unit housing is situated along 178 Street. The street layout is typical of neighbourhoods designed in the 1980, and is characterized by a series of cul-de-sacs and key-hole crescents oriented around collector roads. The curvilinear collector roads connect local residential traffic to the main arterial roads bounding the neighbourhood. Lymburn was developed throughout the 1980s and 90s. Two schools, Lymburn Elementary and St. Martha Elementary are centrally located within the neighbourhood. A small shopping centre on 76 Avenue and 178 Street provides a variety of commercial services to local area residents.
The neighbourhood was named to honour John F. Lymburn, a Scottish born lawyer, who served as Attorney General in the Alberta Legislative Assembly from 1926 to 1935. A 6.1 hectare neighbourhood park in Lymburn is named after Monsignor Walter Fitzgerald, a priest who devoted his time to review parish and diocesan life and was the director of religious education for the Archdiocese of Edmonton.
Population 6,319 Median Income $73,782 # of Homes 2,206 © Stats Canada Census Data
Patricia Heights lies west of 156th Street and south of Whitemud Drive. These two major arterial roads provide residents with easy access to other areas of the city. Patricia Ravine forms the south and west boundaries, and provides one of the key features of this neighbourhood. Many of the homes in Patricia Heights overlook the ravine. Residential land use is evenly split between low density and medium density housing types; single detached homes make up just less than 50% of all housing units within the neighbourhood and low and medium rise apartment buildings make up the remainder of the housing stock. Higher density housing is clustered in the northeastern portion of the neighbourhood along 156th Street.
Patricia Heights was annexed to the City of Edmonton in 1964 as part of a large block of land located between 149 Street and 170 Street and extending from the North Saskatchewan River to 123A Avenue. A majority of the neighbourhood was developed during the 1960s and residential construction was completed in the 1970s. The Patricia Heights Elementary School is located along the northern border of the neighbourhood and a small commercial centre is located off 156th Street. Residents of Patricia Heights are a short drive from health and commercial facilities at Meadowlark Health and Shopping Centre and West Edmonton Mall. The Jewish Community Centre (JCC) and Beth Ora Reform Synagogue are located at the southern tip of the neighbourhood overlooking the ravine. The JCC provides a variety of community amenities and activities to Patricia Heights residents and also serves both Jewish and non-Jewish communities from outside the neighbourhood.
This neighbourhood was named after Princess Patricia, daughter of a Governor General of Canada and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. After marrying Sir Alexander Ramsay in 1919, a commoner and Navel Officer Commander, Princess Patricia relinquished her royal title and was thereafter known as Lady Patricia Ramsay.
During the late 1950s, the Town of Jasper Place, located just west of Edmonton’s city limits, developed several suburban neighbourhoods as alternative residential areas to those offered in Edmonton. Meadowlark Park is one such neighbourhood. The Town of Jasper Place was annexed to the City of Edmonton in 1964, and Meadowlark Park became one of Edmonton’s newer neighbourhoods. Today, Meadowlark Park lies within the city’s Mature Neighbourhood Overlay and is surrounded on all sides by established residential neighbourhoods.
Meadowlark Park is located north of 87th Avenue, east of 170th Street, south of 95th Avenue and west of 163rd Street. Well proportioned lots face streets that are arranged in a curvilinear pattern, and a school and park site are centrally located within the neighbourhood. Several small parks are strategically located throughout the neighbourhood to provide residents with access to open space. The dominant structure type in Meadowlark Park is the single detached house, but over one quarter of all residential dwelling units are in medium and high density forms such as apartment buildings. An important component of the neighbourhood and surrounding areas is the commercial Meadowlark Park Centre, which provides numerous medical services and retail services.
The neighbourhood takes its name from the western meadowlark, which is a species of bird common to central and southern Alberta.
Population 2,767 Median Income $65,610 # of Homes 1,211 © Stats Canada Census Data
View ALL Meadowlark Park MLS® Listings Available For Sale By Clicking Here
Elmwood was originally part of the old Town of Jasper Place. Until its annexation by Edmonton in 1964, Jasper Place served as a residential alternative to living in the larger city. It is bounded by Whitemud Drive to the south, 170 Street to the west, 87 Avenue to the north and 159 Street to the east. The neighbourhood was almost entirely developed during the 1960s and most of the structures in Elmwood are single detached houses.
The schools and a small commercial site are centrally located and adjacent to the collector road. With a freeway and two major arterials forming three of Elmwood’s four borders, residents have good access to destinations in the City’s west end. The Misericordia Hospital and West Edmonton Mall are immediately to Elmwood’s north and northwest.
The neighbourhood was once called West Lynnwood, and in the 1910s the western portion of Elmwood was named Eureka.
Population 3,471 Median Income $76,415 # of Homes 1,332 © Stats Canada Census Data
A mature suburban neighbourhood, Lynnwood began its development as a part of the Town of Jasper Place during the 1950s and continued its development into the early 1980s. The subdivision plan for Lynnwood is based on the modified grid pattern with curvilinear streets and a design that accommodates the river valley system. Today, Lynnwood has many mature trees lining its streets and well developed school and park facilities. A ravine, which is part of the North Saskatchewan River Valley system, runs through the south central portion of the neighbourhood, providing residents with access to natural open space. The neighbourhood’s central location provides excellent access to the Whitemud Freeway and to local commercial amenities and services along 149th Street.
The notable feature of Lynnwood is its uniformity. Almost all properties within the neighbourhood are residential. While a limited number of businesses are contained within Lynnwood, a commercial element is located in nearby Meadowlark Mall. The neighbourhood contains a mixture of housing types. Single-detached housing dominates the interior of the neighbourhood and a sizeable apartment complex is located in the north central portion of the neighbourhood along 87th Avenue.
The neighbourhood name was derived from “lynn” which refers to the wood of a linden tree.
Population 2,336 Median Income $54,575 # of Homes 1,087 © Stats Canada Census Data
Belmead’s design emphasizes an efficient use of urban land. Many neighbouring subdivisions that were planned prior to the 1970s were lower density and thus consumed more urban land. To shift away from this model, the increased density planned for Belmead was intended to preserve agricultural land, conserve energy and increase the efficiency of service delivery.
The neighbourhood is designed so that multi-unit structures are situated adjacent to public transportation routes and close to schools and shopping facilities. Single-detached houses are grouped on either side of the centre of the neighbourhood.
The neighbourhood map reveals two separate stages of subdivision. The portion west of 187th Street was originally reserved for an urban ring road. With the ring road (Anthony Henday Drive) moved further to the west, this excess land was absorbed into Belmead.
The neighbourhood name, Belmead, fits with the pastoral naming convention for neighbourhoods located within the Primrose subdivision. Belmead is an abbreviation of the French term for “beautiful meadows.”
Population 4,672 Median Income $62,613 # of Homes 1,672 © Stats Canada Census Data
Glastonbury is located in west Edmonton, south of Whitemud Drive and west of Anthony Henday Drive. The Hamptons neighbourhood is located to the south and the future Granville neighbourhood is located to the west, both of which are under various stages of construction. The original plan for this neighbourhood was adopted by Council in 1990, but a subsequent wholesale review of the plan was required to keep pace with changing development philosophies and market conditions; the Neighbourhood Structure Plan was adopted in its current form in 1998.
Although construction started in the late 1990s the vast majority of the neighbourhood was constructed in the early 2000s. The proposed housing mix for the neighbourhood is 60% low density residential and 40% medium density residential units. As of 2008 the ratio was about 88% low density and 12% medium density, but the neighbourhood is still actively under construction, and several major medium density residential parcels in the eastern portion of the neighbourhood have yet to be developed. Prior to urban development this area was used for agriculture.
The neighbourhood is bounded on all sides by arterial roadways and a pipeline right-of-way runs diagonally through the neighbourhood. The interior road network is oriented around a looping collector road, which connects traffic to the arterial roads but separates it from the residential areas. A school/park site is reserved in the centre of the neighbourhood. An open space and connected pathways system is coordinated alongside stormwater management facilities to increase recreational space for residents. A commercial site is located in the northwestern corner of the neighbourhood, and residents can access amenities in other parts of the city via Whitemud Drive and Anthony Henday Drive.
Neighbourhoods within The Grange plan area reference back to a period in England’s past when estates were known as granges. Glastonbury reflects upon this theme as it is named after an English monastery. Glastonbury, England is associated with the legend of King Arthur and the location of the Holy Grail.
Population 6,489 Median Income $93,761 # of Homes 2,437 © Stats Canada Census Data
The Suder Greens neighbourhood is located within the Lewis Farms Area Structure Plan (ASP) and is located roughly in the centre of the ASP. The neighbourhood is bounded by Webber Greens Drive to the north, 199th Street to the east, Suder Greens Drive to the south, and Winterburn Road (215th Street) to the west. One of the main features of the Suder Greens neighbourhood design is the incorporation of three Lewis Estates Golf Course fairways that run across the centre of the neighbourhood. Homes are situated to take advantage of the open space views along both sides of the fairways and are oriented along a series of loops and cul-de-sacs that connect with the main interior collector roads.
Residential construction began in the 2000s and is still actively underway. As of 2006, low density housing made up the bulk of the housing stock in Suder Greens, with single-detached home accounting for over 70% of all residential units and semi-detached homes and apartment units making up the remainder. Once complete, however, the neighbourhood will accommodate only 44% single detached units with low and medium density multi-family housing making up the majority of all units within the neighbourhood. A pipeline corridor which traverses the neighbourhood from east to west across the northern portion of the neighbourhood has been landscaped as a linear park which serves to provide residents with increased pedestrian connectivity. A commercial site has been planned for the southwestern corner of the neighbourhood, but has not yet been developed. Residents can access commercial services in the adjacent Glastonbury neighbourhood to the south, and can easily reach a variety of west Edmonton locations via Stony Plain Road.
All neighbourhoods in the Lewis Farms are named after early pioneers in the Edmonton area. Suder Greens was named after Joseph Suder (1869-1922) who homesteaded in the Winterburn area with his family in the 1890s.